Saturday, February 09, 2008

Make-up Artists







I know I have posted this before, but can I say it again? I love that my girls are Girly! And frankly, I am not sure if I would know how to deal if they were not girly, since I was completely girly girl as well. Don’t get me wrong...these girls know how to have fun playing in the dirt and how to wrestle with their brother...but for the most part they are into Pink, Dolls, Art, Make-up, Piggytales, Dancing and High School Musical.

When I was taking pictures of the girls during their beautification session last night I remembered very clearly a time when I was little. Stop, I know many of you are surprised that I can say I remember something. Okay back to the story...I had just gotten finished making myself up with all of my fun eighties colored make-up. I am sure I had at least 4 colors on my eyes just like my big sisters taught me. I came out of my room thinking I was oh so gorgeous only to have someone I was close to tell me how awful I looked and give me a lecture on how little girls shouldn’t wear make-up. I was crushed...so much that it is one of maybe 10 memories I have of being a little girl. Just to set the record straight, this was not my parents who said this to me....they were always very good at letting me freely express myself (with boundaries of course). And I think it is a combination of my parent’s freedom as well as this spirit crushing experience that has molded my own philosophy in raising girls. Girls will be girls...they see their mamma's making themselves beautiful every day and they want to do the same. My girls for the most part have free reign to my make-up, with the exception of Mascara and Liner, and as long as we are not leaving the house. They wouldn’t be caught in public looking like this, but in the privacy of our own home they can be beautiful whenever they want too...with or without make-up on.

12 comments:

Katie said...

They are precious! Love that first picture...Eme's head cocked sideways "making up" her little sister :)

Nicole said...

I was so the opposite I was not a girly girl but I think whit is and I am exited. I love that you give them the freedom to be what they want to be.

Tanya said...

Amen Sista!! Girls will be girls.....and may I say you have yourself a couple of mighty fine ones there!!!

Angie said...

Great job Shannon, I'm sure your girls will remember how much their mama loves them and builds them up!

Kristie said...

:) sweet sisters! Love Emery all made up (with no front teeth)!

Leslie said...

So sweet and oh so true! I have two girly girls on my hands as well! I love the picture with Piper looking at her sister...precious!

Crystal said...

I totally agree! In my heart that sounds so right! I had a similar experience to yours with different outcomes. That is exactly how M and M are. We set the same rules too about leaving the house and no mascara or eye liner. But they sure get creative with everything else, don't they.

Dorothy said...

LOVE IT! You are such a good mommy! When I was in the 7th grade, my sister (who was in the 3rd grade) wanted me to put makeup on her. She trusted me completely to make her beautiful and I decided to be funny and make her look like a clown instead (literally), all the while making her think I was turning her into a princess. She was CRUSHED when she finally saw what I did to her. She cried and cried. I was such a mean big sister.

Kailin said...

Love your girly girls!
I had someone say something like this to me as well...it was devastating! Way to go with your girls!

Hot pink lipstick and rocked!

Angie said...

Shan,
Just looking at those pictures of the girls, I felt this joy for them as they will always have each other. Sisters are a gift!
Angie C.

Lindsay said...

Beautiful girls!! with a beautiful mama!!

Anonymous said...

The girls look like they are loving every minute of their make up fun!
I am sure I know who you are talking about, is it a wonder that I turned out half way decent?
I hope I didn't leave scars like that somewhere along the rearing stage. It is amazing what can crush us and stay with us forever.
Love, Mom