Friday, March 03, 2006

Piper's Prize...

...for the torture she endured at her first Physical Therapy session.

And when I say torture I mean; being surrounded by several doting ladies on a large mat with a bunch of very fun toys and a sucker in her mouth. But never the less, she hated it. Screamed. It could have been the fact that she felt like the first baby panda born at the Woodland Park Zoo in 25 years. She kept looking around like "why is everyone starting at me?" It could also have been that she did not like being forced into positions she wasn't used to. Like on her knees. She hated it. Took everything in me not to pick her up and wipe away the tears.
This little toy was what the physical therapist suggested for her. Great for when she's up on her knees then, as she starts learning to stand and walk it turns into a walker.
And look, she's on her knees. Mommy had to position her that way. She should have her legs a bit more together...but we're working on that. In the background of the picture you will see an exercise ball. We got that to work with her too. You will also see the bouncy seat on the ground...waiting to give back to our friends. Apparently what we thought would help Piper's leg use was actually keeping her legs spread...and she needs to keep them together. I think I also see the sucker stained t-shirt she was wearing her appointment. She was covered in sticky by the time we left.
So this is the physical therapist evaluation:
~She's Very weak in the bootie and hips
~All her joints are very flexible.
~She has very flat feet (which all my kids do) So we keep shoes off of her (which is normal for her anyway, I think she's worn shoes 5 times)
~We need to work on getting her to sit and rise up on her knees first, then we'll work on the standing.
~ Basically she thinks she wasn't highly motivated to move around since everyone just brought things to her...coupled with the fact she's a little weak bootie.
~She does think we will see quick progress with her. I hope so.

I'll keep you posted, I am hoping to get pictures of her at her next appointment.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

This whole thing will definitely give you some quality one-on-one time with Sweet Piper! Make the most of it - I know you will and I will continue to pray for this to be quick and as painless as possible.

Anonymous said...

That is so cute. . .looks like she really likes it and is sitting on her knees!! She is such a little doll!

Love,

Grandma Karek