Monday, August 21, 2006

Miss Em


This summer has been a huge growing time for Emery. She seemed to change overnight. No longer is she my little pre-school girl. Now she seems like she's ALL Girl, nothing little about it. Except for the whine factor that she has down to a science. Even the way she talks seems to have grown so much in the last month. A week from today she turns 5 and heads off to her first day of Kindergarten, tonight she sleeps in a regular size twin bed with fresh new sheets she picked out herself. Okay, yes I realize its a little pathetic that the girl is almost 5 and she is just now getting out of the toddler bed. Earlier, she also announced at bath time that she was too big to take a bath with her sister and brother and would be taking showers from now on. That was all great until the shampoo got in her eyes and mommy had to practically get in the shower with her to teach her how to tip her head back to rinse. I am excited for all these changes in her little life and very nervous as well. So excited for her to start learning to read and write more, for her to learn to interact with her teacher, but scared to death of what she will learn and experience at the hands of the other children in her class. Man sometime I wish I could shelter her more, that's when I get on my knees and start praying.
This picture is of her trying on one of her new outfits we got her for school. She'll try them on for anyone who might be the slightest bit interested. She's my clothes/shoes girl! Back to school shopping was so much fun for me. We went on our visit to my parents. Grandma came along to help. Emery was so proud of the fact that all her clothes came from the older girl section. Grandma took her into the dressing room and she would come out and model every outfit with her face beaming. I just had to buy it all for her cause she was so darn cute. She did get a little wired by the whole experience and both Mom and I had to get after a few times for being annoying ;).
Anyway...just being a bit reflective tonight as I see her turn into a little miss right before my eyes. Dang it goes too fast. Off to go find some Kleenex now...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember those days, fun and emotional and scary. You learned a few choice words in kindergarten, not sure who taught you them but they came out of your mouth. We all have to take steps in our life, just surround her with all your love and understanding. It sounds like she is going off to college but kindergarten is a hard one for parents, wait until you take her to her class and have to say good-bye. Every parent goes through it, hang in there.
Love, Mom

Kristie said...

I'm totally with you Shan! I love the excitement in Justin's eyes everytime he tells someone that he is going to be in kindergarten. I know that he will do great but I do still worry. I'm sure my parents are still worrying about me at times.

That's funny about the shower because Justin just started taking showers by himself in the last few weeks too. Must be part of becoming their own little person.

They are so big yet at times when I look at Justin I still see my baby boy. Five years have past like the blink of an eye!

Anonymous said...

I will be thinking about you. I know exactly what you are feeling. My litle baby boy will be in FULL DAY SCHOOL. That seemed like a whole new thing to me. Kindergarten was still like pre-school, with only beong half days and all, but full day school is such a scary feeling. She looks like a little doll. Good luck, I will be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

She is so big, how exciting. I guess I'm the only mom (except Mom) on here that has older kids. I'm sure mine learned some not so desirable things in Kindergarten, but I sure can't remember it compared to what they come home with in 5th & 7th grade;)
Sis Michelle

Angela said...

She is so cute! I can't believe how big she is getting either. it has been so fun watching her grow. Watch out world here she comes!

Anonymous said...

I guess at this point, Shan, you just have to trust in all that you've taught her and instilled in her. Sure, she's going to be subjected to kids and their (ahem) unique way of expressing themselves but Emery will know how to handle herself :)

Jamie

Lindsay said...

Her light will shine...
Her attitude will be contagious...
Her heart will love...
Enjoy this time and know that God has His arms wrapped around her as she becomes a "STAR"

Anonymous said...

Okay, now that I am totally crying! What a special time this will be even though it may be tough at times. I know I will be calling you when Maggie starts kindergarden, it will be here so soon! :)
Love, Les

Tracy said...

Seriously ... I don't even have kids yet and I got all teary :) She is beautful Shan, and she will be beautful inside and out. How can she not be with parents who love her like you do. (By the way, I can't believe she is 5! Holy cow!)