Monday, October 22, 2007

Girlfriend~Dont grow too fast!

A picture Em begged me to take of her with my Point and Shoot because she thought it was cool that she could stretch her legs all the way across the opening of the door. After reviewing the picture on the lcd she decided she needed a re-shoot with a serious face. I think she's been watching me proof my senior shoots. It took some practice and lots of giggles to get her to stop smiling ;). The same usually goes for seniors as well.

I wanted to share a little conversation I had with her last week. On Thursday night I worked at the school carnival. At one point in the evening a cute little boy and his twin brother came up to me and asked, "You is Emery's Mom huh?" I replied, "I is." (just kidding dad.)
The boys began to giggle and one of them pointed to his brother and said, "she his girlfriend".
"Oh, is that true?" I asked calmly...more giggles. I asked him his name and he said Jesus...his brother's name was Martine. I then told him really nicely that Emery is not allowed to have boyfriends but he could be her friend. More giggles...
So later on that evening I tucked Emery in bed and climbed up for a little talk. I told her I met Jesus and she smiled and said, "He is my friend." I said, "Yes and he was very nice, but his brother said that he is your boyfriend." She smiled but looked a little confused and said, "no he is my friend." I took this time as a good opportunity to start to share with her some of the ground rules in our house. I told her how it was good to have boys as friends, but it is best to just keep them as friends...even if you were just playing. And how she can start thinking about having a "boyfriend" when she was 16. She got all giddy and started counting the years till she turns 16. OH DEAR!
Anyway, I also started planting in her little head how God is finding a special person for her and how important it is when she is older to only have boyfriends that love Jesus. (Jesus of Nazareth that is, not the Jesus from Sunset Elementary ;). I am sure she doesn't really comprehend that completely, but it's a good time to start talking with her.
So the next day when I picked her up from school she asked, "Mama, do Spanish people..." then she paused so I had to jump in and correct her..."You mean Spanish speaking people?" "oh yes" she said. (just a pet peeve of mine.) She then continued, "Do Spanish speaking people worship God?" I said, yes some do and told her all about Pastor Genaro and the Spanish speaking congregation at church. I asked her if she had asked anyone at school if they worshiped God. Thinking maybe she had asked little Jesus. But she said no. Not sure if that question was prompted by our conversation the night before, but glad she is thinking about such things.

14 comments:

Lindsay said...

Precious Emery!
and way to go MOM with the chat about boys & love... I'm positive it won't be the last!

Katie said...

I love it! What a good Mommy you are :)
She is adorable!

Kristie said...

Justin still giggles everytime I ask him is he has a girlfriend and then say nOOOOOOOOO!!! I think I am safe!

She is so sweet!

Tanya said...

Way to go Shan! Your story has led me into deep contemplation....but I am glad....cute story and cute little girl!

Leslie said...

Oh Shany that is so precious...and scary all at the same time. She is growing up so fast. You are doing such a great job about teaching her all about Jesus. I know I will be calling you with so many questions in a few years...yikes!

Kailin said...

So sweet. Love these conversations, it is never to soon to start talking to them and teaching them these values! You are much more generous with your boyfriend age though, we say 25!

Angela said...

I just can't believe she is old enough to be giddy about boys!
Nice job with the conversation!

Nicole said...

what a good mommy you are. Im sure Emery will have lots of boys that want to be her boyfriend. what a great time to start such an important conversation.

Melissa said...

We just had this conversation too. I think you talking to me about the ways to raise a good christian kid got us motivated. I was thinking 10 years seem a ways away but then it doesn't. Way to go Shan, I know girls love little chats we have w/ them at this age. Hopefully that will never change.

Dorothy said...

A very good mommy you are. And this whole post was just funny to me. Don't know why but it made me LOL several times. Maybe nervous laughter for what's to come in the not so distant future???

Anonymous said...

Great to start planting those things in their minds at a young age, also time to start praying for the man that God will have and woman God will have for your children to have as mates, it comes sooner than you will ever believe. This coming from a Mom who's oldest daughter fell in love with her sweetheart at 14 years old, that being your sister Michelle.
Keep us the openness with your kids, it is so healthy if they will listen and talk with you.
Love, Mom

mrose6 said...

I love that top picture of her, shows her personality
Auntie Michelle

mrose6 said...

I just read Mom's comment and went "WOW", that's so incredible to think. My oldest will be 14 in 2 days!!!
Michelle

Stacy said...

Way to go MOM! What great seeds you are planting in that little body!