Sunday, October 07, 2007

go cougs...said in a quiet little whisper...

So yesterday morning we headed out to our second game in Pullman this year. The girls (or rather emery) told us at the last game that she didn't want to go to them anymore because it was boring. Crushed us a tad, but we still had Ty who wanted to go. Of course that makes his Daddy proud. Mike and I were trying to recall another time that we went someplace together for a significant amount of time with just one of our kids. We couldn't think of a time. So it was kind of special for Ty. And boy did he soak it up. After several rounds of sweets, he came up from the concession stands with a licorice rope taller than him and said to me "mommy, i'm spoiled!" I was fortunate enough to get the result of that spoiled-ness on video...the sugar crash! (you can see the video below, hopefully)

So are you wondering why I typed the title of this blog in a quiet little voice? Well, I am a tad afraid that our snobby neighbors in the two rows below us might somehow hear this from their homes and get upset. Grr...We have been blessed with a couple of families that sit in front of us every game who think they are above all else. For two years now I have had to watch as one family and their two teenage girls get all annoyed and sit there and talk about us like we are freaks. Why you ask? Well because we cheer loudly!!! Mike mostly ;). Apparently where they come from you sit and clap quietly when something is about to happen. Even when the defensive linemen are on the field trying to get the noise level up. Apparently clapping (not screaming) is enough. I don't think it would bother me so much, but they are just so blatantly talking about Mike where I can see it...and let me tell you, they could probably feel the piercing of my stare through them. I so want to tell the parents that they are raising little snobs!!! Yet I hold my tongue.
And then directly in front of us we have an older couple with two adult children who also constantly have their butts (I so want to type something else right now!) on thier bleacher the whole game. That doesn't bother me at all...what bothered me yesterday is at one point, the older lady turned around, grabbed my little boy's leg and yelled, "WILL YOU STOP KICKING MY SEAT THANKYOU!!" I sat their stunned. I had just returned from getting coffee so I didn't know if this rage was coming from asking Ty several times before politely to no avail. I asked Mike (loud enough for the lady to hear me) "was this the first time this has happened?" It was, and fact is, it was Mike's nervous twitching knee that was bumping the seat, not my little boy. It took all I had inside me not to unleash the wrath of Mama Bear on this uptight lady that apparently doesnt know her tickets are in the FAMILY section!! hmm, she should be thankful that she just has to deal with wiggly kids all around her than drunks with dirty mouths.
And you want to know an interesting twist to the story. Right before this Leg Grabbing incident, I was in line for probably 30 minutes for my Americano, so to kill time I pulled out my MotoQ. We don't get service in Pullman, but I do have my bible on it, so I decided to read some James...(just randomly chose that) I was reading all about the importance of controlling your tongue. Ha!!! Could the timing have been more perfect? I don't think so.

Although, I tell you what. You only grab my son's leg once before there is no more tongue holding, you only bad mouth my man so many times before I have to put someone in their place.
So you may all want to pray for me on the next Cougar Football Saturday!


And on to more happy things...pictures and a video. Ty & Butch.


The regulars. (edited for the sake of Jamie's self-esteem. Although I thought she looked less hairy in the original.)


Part of the sugar fix.






17 comments:

Katie said...

Sorry about your snobby neighbors! Takes me back to the days when Cam and I used to have season tickets for the Portland Winterhawks. I'll never forget some of the regulars we had the "priviledge" of sitting by! Where do these people come from?! Cute little video of Ty!

Lindsay said...

tons of wisdom in the book of James!
looks like a good time had by all - especially "sugar boy"!!

Stacy said...

What a bummer! You go to a game you want to have fun and you have to put up with the fleas of this life (that's what Cory calls all the people in this world that annoy him!) Hold you tongue and think, in Heaven, there will be NO fleas! Love the video of Ty! That is hilarious! See you in the morning, I gotta go get some sleep!

Anonymous said...

This wild man chose to scream extra loud, and bang either the empty Coke bottle or slap Ty's new football in my hands as hard as I could the rest of the game to really bother them. What's funny is that Glenn Johnson, aka "The Voice" has a PSA that runs throughout the game asking if there's anyone that's making the game not enjoyable for you, and I kept joking "Yeah, all those guys wearing yellow helmets" since we were playing the Sun Devils. Had I heard it again I probably would have said something not so nice about the lady in front.

What's funny is what she actually said was "Can you not kick my chair", which is poor grammar. And speaking to a 5 year old it's very confusing. Hmmm, she is asking me to do something, yet using the word not in the sentence, I don't get it.

I didn't notice the touching of the knee, which is probably best. Because if I had I would have politely responded "unless you want to NOT use that hand ever again, I suggest you remove it from my son's leg now!"

I pay the same money they do, and I know for a fact if you pool the fan base and players, they want ME there screaming my head off and losing my voice week after week rather then some old farts sitting on their hands because the seats are too cold.

Here I thought it was the wind in Pullman that was so chilly, turns out it was the ice cold snow queen sitting in front of us!

GO COUGS

Michelle said...

Mike... you are so funny. :-) I am sorry that you are dealing with difficult people!

Leslie said...

Oh Shany I am so sorry...I can only imagine how hard it is not to say anything! How fun for you to have a day out with Ty!

Kristie said...

I thought only the passionate fans paid for season tickets? Why go if you are not going to cheer? Some people just don't have that soft heart that you need when raising wiggly little boys! Hope next week is better!

Anonymous said...

I say next week you slam her head into the bleachers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was getting so fired up reading your BLOG. I was at a Seahawk game during the playoffs trying to be as loud as I could since we are the 12th fan and the couple in front of me thought they were in a quiet restaurant on a private date when in fact they were in Qwest Stadium, the loudest stadium in the NFL and the jerk had the guts to turn to me and yell at me to shut up all red faced and his girlfriend told me I just had a really annoying voice. I thought I was going to die--I told them they were giving away earplugs outside the stadium. Low and behold, everyone around him about beat him up so they left. :) I sat on the student side of the Coug game on Saturday (not in the student section though) and we LOVED our seats because everyone stood and cheered the entire time. ..and it was sunny, I highly recommend it. AND, I heard no profanity although there were a few drunk peeps--Ty wouldn't know though. :) I soo want to call into a Sports Radio Station and have a discussion about this type of thing.
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you're sitting by a bunch of Huskies ;)

And for the love of my self-esteem and any shred of self-confidence I have left, can you please take that picture down??

Jamie

Kailin said...

seriously, I thought there was a rule against sitting still quietly during a football game...

mean people suck

Tiffany said...

I love that you guys scream and cheer loud at games!! What's the point of going to a game if your not going to get excited about them!!!

Tanya said...

Very funny post...love the video of Ty!!

Dorothy said...

Wow. Glad you read from James when you did. Still don't know how you held you tongue. I don't think I could have done it. That is one of my weak points. The video of Ty is HILARIOUS!!!!! HA!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, good thing you have a week to keep reading James and pray.
Best to prepare yourself ahead of time as how to handle these kinds of situations or you will be like your mother and you will have to learn to ask forgiveness for her big mouth and yelling at a friend that was driving her crazy, even had to call all my other friends who were at the dinner and apologize to them. Of course they thought I was just hormonal and they still love me but I can't say I was very Christ like.
Good thing you were able to express yourself in writing and get your feelings out.
Love, Mom

Angela said...

That bites. People are so rude.
I remember when were were flying to Hawaii and and a lady told me I needed to learn how to control my son because he was kicking her. I wanted to throw her off the plane.
That video is so cute!

Melissa said...

You need to buy a blow horn!! That'll teach them. Hope next game is more enjoyable.