Monday, January 14, 2008

iGoogle Sucks

ETA: StacyB eased my fear in her post (see comments). Sorry if I caused wide spread panic ;). Off to go build my iGoogle feeds again :). And feel free to put my feed back up on yours if you want. Thanks again Stacy!
But just a reminder...it is always safe to err on the side of caution with your blog and internet wackos.

If you have me in your iGoogle Blog feed list (where you go to check if anyone has updated instead of checking blog itself) PLEASE TAKE ME OFF THE LIST!

I have never had a problem with strangers commenting on my blog until iGoogle came around. I have noticed random hits from Google search too.

I would really like to make it a tad less easier for randoms to find the blog. I know almost impossible...but every little thing helps.

So I am sorry but I had to delete my iGoogle list and if I am on yours, please delete me.

Thanks!

Google has too much power these days ;)

14 comments:

Lindsay said...

Man... I'm sorry. I took you off. Wondering why this hasn't happened to me (since I've been using igoogle for quite a while now)... guess it's just a matter of time.

Shannon said...

Well, it may not be iGoogles fault in this case...but just in case it is. I have just had a gut feeling of being a little uncomfortable with the igoogle service. Could be nothing...I'd just rather be careful.

Katie said...

I took you off too. Sorry some crazies found you!

Kristie said...

hmmm...never did get that set-up and will mark that off my list of things to do now...thanks for the heads up

Angela said...

Weird, I have never had a problem either but I took you off.

Michelle said...

I will take you off. Bummer. I love how handy igoogle is.

Shannon said...

Oh man, I love how handy it is too...i already miss it.

Michelle said...

I love your quote by Tiff!!! :-) So true!

Nicole said...

I will take you off do you think it is just google are others safe?

Melissa said...

I dont have you on igoogle because I am not smart enough to figure these shortcuts on the computer :)

Tiffany said...

So i just saw the quote of the day... by ME! Seriously that made my day!!

Shannon said...

Oops Tif, i just realized i used your maiden name....sorry.

Stacy B said...

Hi Shannon, iGoogle is a personalized home page that people can use to subscribe to RSS feeds. Your blog posts are a sample of RSS feeds. When you post to your blog, that person's iGoogle page will be updated. So, your blog posts are going to their page, then, they can click the new post link and it will take them to your blog. iGoogle basically acts like a "feed reader."

The only way spammers could get to your blog from a person's iGoogle page is if they have shared their secure login with the world. If you share your iGoogle page you are also are sharing your Blogger and GMail logins.

If you are getting spammed, it is more likely to be happening from other people's blogs that have your name as a link along the side than their secure iGoogle pages.

You can go to this link and learn more about RSS feeds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)

I think Google is secure, and trust that I am the only person reading my iGoogle pages.

Shannon said...

Thanks Stacy, that clears it up for me. And boy have I been missing the convience of iGoogle!
Not looking forwad to creating me feed again though.